Sunday 21 March 2010

Jayne's Bangle



From November 2009 and through to February 2010 I committed myself to the task of attempting to computer model a Bangle given to me by Jayne. I had mentioned to Jayne one day that I did 3D computer modelling and had been presented with the bangle as a challenge to model as in her words "it morphs into all of these different shapes".
Jayne's words actually "wrong footed" me when it came to making the computer model as I considered that I could make it using various "morph targets" to accomplish its movement but the range of the objects morph targets became to great and the necessary "control array" became to great as each additional "morph target" added to the computer models size. The simplest solution was to remodel as a complex rotation object...anyway this took some getting my head around as the object itself had numerous axis's of rotation and my object (at this point) was whole and only had one axis.
The solution (once I had worked it out) was a far simpler remodel before I started to get the result I was looking for as it was not possible to build the model as a self contained object in its own right but rather as a collection of individual components.
Two frames of the resulting animation were rendered to a higher resolution and printed and framed and entered for this years annual Open Exhibition at the Ferens Art Gallery, Hull, and were judged to be acceptable, titled "No 147" and "No 265" they are on display in gallery 8 until 18th April 2010.
For those interested in seeing the rest of the set, they can now be found at the Hull Art site on Facebook within my gallery there

No comments:

Post a Comment