Monday 16 November 2009

"A Ride in the Park" 2008.


I came across this old unmarked photograph one day that struck me as decidedly "odd" to modern sensibilities and definitely would not be considered "allowable" by today's standards.

I decided that I would attempt to paint a coloured version of it that for me held a very symbolic and separate "message" as the wheel of life, with the Ostrich as a symbol of flight and the children "nested" in the cart about to "flee the nest" metaphorically speaking. As they say, "every picture tells a story" which sometimes when translated into symbolism can be quite interesting also.

1 comment:

  1. Still trying to get my head around this being a real image, did Ostriches really pull cart loads? And I think the children look like they're in an old fashioned version of an amusement park ride, instead of 'fasten your seat belts' it's 'hang on damned tight!'

    ReplyDelete